Friday, February 20, 2009

The Best Things In Life Are Free...?

"The best things in life are free." I used to completely believe on this statement, until I came to realize that perhaps, nothing is absolutely free in this world.
I checked thesaurus and found out that FREE means "at no cost" or "for nothing".

I recently came across Mr. James S. Huggins' site where I found a list of the best things in life ( he didn't say they're free though),and found some items on the list quite worthy of note.

Here are some of those "best things" listed on Mr. Huggins' Refrigerator Door:
link (http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/mot1/best_things_in_life.htm)


  • Seeing smiles and hearing laughter from your friends. -- I say...you must have done something good or maybe cracked a really good joke and made them laugh huh?! I don't think they'll laugh for nothing.
  • Making eye contact with a cute stranger. -- Oh! Maybe it took you a few minutes of argument and battle with yourself whether to look straight into his eyes or not.
  • Having someone tell you that you're beautiful. -- Of course you worked your way to appear beautiful and spent time (and money maybe) to achieve your look, unless you're an inborn goddess or something.
  • The beach. -- Hey! The nicest beaches have expensive entrance fees, and besides, you really have to provide yourself with SPFs & sunscreen if you don't want to pay later on with skin cancer.
  • A long distance phone call. -- Oh well, long distance phone calls are kinda expensive. And sometimes when you receive one, you somehow subconsciously feel the need to call the other party as well.
  • Sweet dreams. -- Yeah right! Sweet dreams are free indeed, and yet, you suddenly wake up and find yourself feeling sorry that it was just a DREAM...
  • Your first kiss./Watching a good movie cuddled up on a couch with someone you love./Getting butterflies in your stomach every time you see that one person./Holding hands with someone you care about./Hugging the person you love. -- Gee! They all sound so good, don't they? You have to admit you were imagining that one person while reading. Well, maybe at some point they come out free. Based on your own experiences, try to look back at what happened before and after that certain moment and ask yourself again...Was it absolutely free after all? (I'm asking myself that very same question now.)

  • Falling in love. -- Great! This is # 1 on the list. It's pretty obvious majority of the population all over the world believes so. Maybe influenced by Jennifer Lopez's "Love Don't Cost A Thing" song.*smiles* Well, falling in love is undeniably one of life's best things. But is it really free? I'll just leave it for you guys to ponder.
Do I really believe on all those things I've just stated? Of course I do. It somewhat sounds reasonable(I suppose), and perhaps can be a subject for discussion and argument.

Well, maybe(I said maybe) nothing earthly or human is absolutely free in this life, not even love. But then, it doesn't stop us from yearning for it. People need love so we go for it no matter what price we pay. We give our time and effort, we get hurt, we make voluntary sacrifices, we even willingly give up our own dreams and change our life plans not because we have to, but because we want to, and doing so would make us happy---truly happy. And if I have to choose what "best thing" I wish to have more, I would say TIME to be with my loved ones and to do the things I love. Wondering why time and not love? Well, there are means to get back the love that's gone but the time you lost, you'll never get back.

Here's the link Mr. Huggins' site: http://www.jamesshuggins.com/
http://www.myephemerae.com/
http://www.eclecticpower.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment