Friday, February 20, 2009

Yogurt may help prevent Osteoporosis

I'm currently loving yogurt. It was actually my friend Yvve, who influenced me to give it a try. Last week we had the usual grocery rounds to check out some stuff we like. I thought of getting my box of full cream milk but ended up paying for some noodles and yogurt instead.

I think I had a bad experience on yogurt back in grade school when I tried it plain & at room temperature which means it tasted super sour & yucky. I never dared to try it again since then. Not until Yvve said it actually taste good and she's loving it.

I did a little web research on the benefits of yogurt and was amazed to find out its advantages to our health. According to the article by Elaine Magee, MPH, RD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-yogurt), some of the health benefits we get from having yogurt on our diet are as follows:
  • Yogurt May Help Prevent Osteoporosis

  • Yogurt May Reduce the Risk of High Blood Pressure

  • Yogurt With Active Cultures Helps the Gut

  • Yogurt With Active Cultures May Discourage Vaginal Infections

  • Yogurt May Help You Feel Fuller

On another website (http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/18-reasons-eat-yogurt.html) I found an article by Lynn Greiger with the list of Nutritional benefits of yogurt. They are as follows:
  • rich in protein (8 grams per cup)
  • good source of calcium (plain yogurt has 400 mg per cup -- more than one cup of skim milk)
  • contains as much potassium as a banana
  • excellent source of the B vitamin riboflavin
  • improves lactose (the carbohydrate in dairy products) digestion by aiding production of the enzyme lactase
  • active cultures present in some types of yogurt protect against diarrhea and are helpful in strengthening the immune system
  • may help reduce risk of colon and breast cancer by improving our immune system defenses

I didn't know that gross-tasting-bacteria-filled-thing I swore not to eat again years back can provide so much benefit. Now I think I'm a good fan of yogurt. I've only tried few kinds and so far what I love most is Nestle's Fruit selection yogurt in Mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment