Friday, February 20, 2009

Give until it hurts...

Whew! Just came back from Missionaries of Charity - home for sick and abandoned kids. Louraine and I took a little break from work this morning just to have a glimpse of the kids' situation there. We learned that they have almost 60 children ages 3 months to 20 yrs old. We got the chance to talk to one of the Sisters there who shared with us some information about the children. As we entered the place, we saw the kids quietly sleeping in their individual cribs. I directly headed to the area of the babies below 3 years old.


I have this fondness on children, and seeing 16 babies in one room all yearning for attention, waiting for someone to come and spend a little time with them, just fills my heart with sadness. Somehow it makes me feel so grateful that I have a family to come home to, parents to take care of me when I'm sick, and siblings to open the door for me when I come home late.


I was charmed by the youngest baby since it looked so adorable smiling warmly in the crib. Then all of a sudden the Sister called out..."Lawrence"! I suddenly looked up and saw Louraine laughing. Oh well, it turned out that the charming little angel I was playing with has the same name with my dear baki. Coincidence huh? As we were about to leave the kids, Sister called out again..."Christian"! (real name or Louraine's husband-to-be). We looked at each other and gave ourselves a good laugh. Of all the babies there, Sister called out only two names which are both significant to us. Great! Maybe the angels brought us there.


According to Sister Tapali, they really need help for the children and I've seen that myself. I hope to get more chances to spend time with the kids. I know they need assistance with their everyday needs, but I think more than the material things we can offer, what they badly need is time, attention, and comforting touch from people who sincerely care.


Lesson learned for today...give until it hurts. Just like Mother Theresa and her sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment